About Sudhir Pai
In his career spanning over 32 years, Chef Sudhir Pai has worked with some of the best brands in the market, such as Leela Penta, Oberoi, Ambassador Sky Chef, Hotel Orchid, Holiday Inn, and many many more. His skill-sets are as diverse and valuable as they can get in this industry, having conceptualised several restaurants end, consulted for top brands, demonstrated expertise in strategy, management, training, and administration. This makes him an authority in the F&B area of the hospitality industry.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions shared on the podcast are individual and personal. They do not represent any organisations that may have been mentioned.
- The hospitality industry is all about socialising, coming together, and creating that experience. Unfortunately, social distancing is actually completely against the ethos of the industry.
- Based on the type of the hotel, F&B usually makes up for 30-40% of a hotel’s revenue.
- Technology has helped F&B immensely both in the back-end and the front-end, for improving the access of information, as well as saving time. The last 5-6 years has seen maximum development.
- The advice earlier was to maximise engagement with the guest to focus on personalisation and human touch, and today the goal is the exact opposite, so technology is the way.
- Customisation of services and experiences, as well as creativity, is very important when using technology
- It will take a lot of time for the food and beverage experience to go back to the olden ways, and in room dining will just not give the same experience. But it will be extremely important at least for the next 6 months, so hotels will have to focus on these.
- Strategy of hotels partnering with delivery partners is not sustainable enough. Hotels will have to think of ways to reopen operations. Resorts that are farther from the city and accessible by car, are already seeing spikes in guest traffic.
- Prices of ingredients will go up, but hotels will still have to maintain their prices for F&B. They can afford to neither raise nor cut down the prices.
- Food and Beverage pricing does not have a real impact on people staying at hotels or not. That decision is more of an emotional and safety issue.
- Going ahead, in the long term, hotels have to focus on overall sanitation even if it costs more. In the other aspects, however, cost efficiency is the key in order to survive – staff reduction, multi-skilling, shortening of menus to avoid wastage, and innovative and efficient management of processes.
HelloSuite is a progressive web app for hotel guests that equips them to conveniently explore all hotel services from their own devices. Guests can use it to digitally check-in, order food, reserve tables, book spa sessions, request housekeeping, and much more. The design of the application is fully customizable to match the hotel’s design guidelines. To know more, schedule a demo with us or write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org